Friday, October 5, 2007

Meet Hedgy


Our newest little guy is here! Meet Hedgy. Letterpressed in Pea Green - he looks great with Navy, Sky Blue and Chocolate. He's so cute. My new favorite. I keep saying that - but I really do mean it.

Marisa Haedike's characters, as I blogged about the other day, have the greatest names - like Pearl the spider, Bart the penguin, Knut the polar bear... I love them. I have only named one of my characters - Frank (the alligator) - after my dad:


I don't know why I thought it would be a good fit - but he's so much more Frank to me than Alligator. And I think I love him more because of it. (Frank the alligator, that is, not my dad. My dad is my favorite person in the world - but I don't love him more for his name.)

So Marisa's names have gotten me thinking about naming characters b/c I believe, although I don't know this for certain, that she has stories behind all her characters and paintings. And for the most part, I do too. Moose Peeking is definitely after my love for all things from Maine, and the only place I have ever seen one. Cows remind me of my childhood trips to my mom's farm in Pennsylvania. Roosters remind me of old hand-towels and china from childhood. Flamingos was a two-part inspiration: one for my friends Barbara and Bob, who have the quirkiest love for them, and two, when thinking for a design for our Cure Card, I wanted it be something elegant, strong and graceful. And now Hedgy - who comes from my friend Jess, who I've known most of my life as Bird. Maybe Hedgy should actually be called Bird? That would be confusing. But sweet, actually.

I wonder what would happen if I let you all influence my character choice - you guys pick the character/animal/thing - I design it, and then maybe you also name it? That would be kinda fun... thoughts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE hedgy!

Anonymous said...

Heehee~ if you'd left me with the task of naming the animals, you'd have some pretty weird names out there! :)

That said, what a coincidence that we posted about Marisa (I wrote that post a week ago, and left it as a draft).

Oh, and congrats about you and your hubby working together! I'd always wanted to know how that would feel--how has it been so far?

And yes, I was meaning to comment on your so many posts, but have consolidated it all into one--how embarrassing!

Liz Libré said...

No, not embarassing - thanks for writing! I love Marisa's work, too.

I'll say this about working with your husband: it's just plain challenging. But I also think I set myself up for a tough road - I'm kind of a control freak and he's waaaay more laid back - which is a good combo I suppose. It's just an adjustment.

I'm also quickly learning that he's really good at things I'm not.

I may just post about this b/c I have a lot to say....

MRC said...

You should definitely call Hedgy "Bird"! It's so fitting!