Monday, July 16, 2007

Happy Birthday Dad

My dad is the greatest. When I was little, I was amazed how he could fit a whole oreo in his mouth at once. I was in awe. I always wanted to be able to do that. (ahem, it's no problem, now)

My dad also happens to be the funniest person I know. I love Jerry Seinfeld and there isn't anything Jerry says that I don't either roar or giggle over. My dad (sorry, Jerry) is funnier. He's a classic storyteller. Just this past weekend, he went into the story from two Halloween's ago when he dressed up in his werewolf costume (He not only loves this thing, but keeps it hidden so my stepmother doesn't find it & toss it. His favorite part of it is that the jaw of the mask is strapped to his own for a more realistic effect). We've all heard the story before - many times in fact - but we're still captivated like we've never heard it.

So, the story goes.... he went over to his sister-in-laws house, who never gets trick-or-treaters yet keeps a bowl full of candy out just in case. Knowing full well she'd be so excited to hear the doorbell ring, my dad heads out in his costume - rings the doorbell and steps out of view from the peephole so they think it's a little kid. He can hear her inside, shuffling around for the bowl, so excited, and opens the door chanting Happy Halloween! - when my dad jumps out in the full get-up and scares her to the point of screaming and slamming the door in his face. He's cracking himself up telling us this story for the 100th time - and we're all laughing like it's the first time.

I love you Dad. I love you and you're crazy sense of humor.

1 comment:

SMC said...

i love this picture!