Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Chez Panisse Vegetables




I recently bought a book (another Ironman book - I'm up to four now) on Amazon.com. And you know that little trick they do - where they say something like - "You put these in your cart the last time and didn't buy them - do you want to buy them now?" I always ignore that - but for some reason, I was like - okay, okay, I'll finally order them. One of those books I have been holding back on buying was Alice Waters' Chez Panisse Vegetables. Oh my goodness. If there is one cookbook that I want to have forever - it's this one. First of all, the book is gorgeous - in function & in presentation & in practice. It flops open nicely - unlike some cookbooks that you have to pry & crease to stay open. And the illustrations are beyond words. Yes, they are vegetables - but they are beautiful. They were all originally letterpress pieces done by Patricia Curtan. I could cut out & frame a whole bunch of them if I didn't want to hold on to this book so badly. And the recipes are made up of all very simple & fresh ingredients. Thank you amazon.com for reminding me to purchase. This is such a little gem. Go see for yourself here.

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

I have about nine of those lovely illustrations matted and framed....and no clue what to do with them.... but they're so pretty!

Lizzy and Shannon said...

Im obsessed!! Blogged about her last summer... I even stalked her on email and have debated ordering prints many times.

Jen said...

I love Alice Waters and just met her in Chicago at the farmers market a few weekends ago. What a great book!

Project Ecoart said...

I'm a huge Chez Panisse fan...thanks for the tip. i will dfinitely go out and buy it!

P.s. Love the blog and I will add you to my blogroll :)

p.s.s. found you via http://beachbungalow8.blogspot.com

Laura said...

You must make the Long-cooked broccoli! Even if you don't like broccoli. My husband made it for me on one of our first dates, and I knew he was the one!