Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Shibboleth


While in London last week, John and I checked out the Tate Modern. I always look forward to the exhibitions in Turbine Hall - the large entryway to the museum. The last time I was there, the hall was filled with glowing light from The Weather Project. This time, I found the floor cracked from one side to the other. A football field length of cracks into the solid concrete. Doris Salcedo’s Shibboleth was pretty powerful. Without knowing anything about the artist or her work, I felt shaken by this seemingly fragile and volatile ground beneath my feet - that some great unknown force has come in here and disrupted the place. I love when something allows me see it in a whole new way.

To read more about Doris Salcedo's work, click here. And to see more images of Shibboleth, click here.

No comments: